Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What do you get when you recycle some discarded items, and add water? A water feature, of course!

This project began with my first attempt at building a garden fountain to add some movement to what was a barren garden when I moved here a few months before. It received many positive comments, but to me as a new artist, it seemed like a failure, albeit one in which I could learn from the mistakes I had made. Using recycled bamboo, a discarded broken birdbath bowl, white pebbles and an assortment of recycled materials to create the structure, it didn't seem lacking in character and set the desired atmosphere in my garden... the tranquil sound of a gentle waterfall, as well as being an attraction for the local birdlife.

Recycled materials used for fountain include: bamboo, broken cement
bird bath, plastic tubing, plastic bags, reinforcing mesh.


The only problem was that the pump just wasn't up to the job it was designed for, even though it was operating way under its stated capacity. The pump was still under warranty, so I promptly returned it to the store and received a properly working replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment