Monday, October 25, 2010

I love thunderstorms!

There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to freshen the air... last night's storm was a real ripper, and great weather for catching up on reading the pile of books I recently borrowed from the local library.

As I sat down, thunder shook the whole house. The delay between the flash and deafening rumble was almost imperceptible, so no doubt the lighting strike was very close by.

Then down came the rain... in buckets! I don't have a water tank here, so I always take advantage of the rain to fill whatever I can for later use on my veggie and herb gardens, which is a good thing because we've been on water restrictions for ages. Another good thing about the rain is that the frogs in my garden love it too.

Temporary frog pond made from recycled wok.


So anyway, I was out on the balcony putting out several buckets, which all filled within 2 minutes. All of a sudden there was a another blinding flash, immediately followed by an ear-splitting thunderclap... I almost jumped out of my skin!

Well that was good enough reason to have a drink. Well, that's my excuse and I'll stick to it... I rarely drink, so it's no biggie. I settled again into my favourite seat, with a glass of merlot in hand. The storm raged for what seemed like 2 hours, it poured rain for over 6 hours, and I enjoyed a relaxing evening of reading.


This morning when I woke, the rain clouds were rolling in low across Straddie, although they didn't quite make it back over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment